Sunday, April 02, 2006
Ella Ruby




After much anticipation, Ella Ruby finally made her appearance on March 30th, 2006 at 1:32 pm. She was a "healthy" girl, weighing in at 8 lbs and 14 oz. Did I mention she was induced two weeks early?

Overall, the delivery went well. The "waiting" to get to that point was the real torture. Because Ella was so big, she didn't want to "come down" into the birth canal. We waited all day on Wednesday, hoping the contractions I was having would bring her down. No luck! By the next morning, I had dilated enough to have my water broken. That's when things started moving quickly. My nurse (sent from heaven) ordered my epidural before the Pitocin was administered. Once I received the Pitocin and it started doing it's magic, my contractions started full force. Luckily, the epidural did its job!

Once I dilated to 10cm, my nurse called the doctor to let him know how things were progressing. Ella had "moved down" some in the birth canal, but not to the point they were hoping. They decided to let my contractions "do the work" for me and wait to see how the baby would do. After about an hour of contracting, my doctor came by to check on me. "We are going to have a big baby. Maybe 9 pounds," he said. He also mentioned that we would try to get Ella to come down, but not to be surprised if we had to have a C-section. After waiting so long, I had come to terms with a C-section. Whatever we had to do to have this baby!

I finally started pushing, hoping for the best. Ella seemed to be coming down, but then we hit a road block. She couldn't get past my pubic bone (whatever that is!). They then realized she was "sunny side up" and wasn't able to move past this point without being turned. My nurse put me in several different birthing positions trying to get her to turn. The nurse finally gave up and went to get the doctor. She met him in the hallway, as he was rushing another woman off to have an emergency C-section. He told her that I needed to stop pushing until he was finished. For about 30 minutes, we waited. It was during this time that my epidural started to wear off on my right side. I started getting nervous. I asked the nurse to get the anesthesiologist back in there - and quick! She paged him and we waited some more. In the mean time, my nurse kept talking about "Rose." Evidently, Rose was a nurse with 40+ years of OB experience and had "magic fingers." Rose came in, wanted to see me "push" a few times, and then started working. In three pushes, she had Ella turned around and had her ready to join the world! At that moment, my doctor walked in, scrambled to get "suited up" and caught Ella just in time! She came out screaming! Music to our ears!

So far, she is the perfect baby. She really hasn't cried at all. She is already on a feeding schedule and is getting up at 1:00 am and 5:00 am to eat. Everytime I say she is perfect, I feel the need to "knock on wood." My world will probably be turned upside down by next week! Also - is it normal to already feel a sadness about this being my last baby? (My husband and I had already decided that we only wanted two children.) I find myself treasuring every moment with her, wanting to do everything myself (feeding, changing diapers, holding her). I didn't expect to have such an overwhelming feeling of "my baby!" I don't want her to grow up. I'm "in love" all over again! First Kevin, then Kellynn - now Ella! My life is complete!

Ella's Photos

PS - Above is a link to the pictures my sister took of Ella on the day of her birth. Just click the first photo you see of Ella. You do not have to log in to see the photos.






9 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

I am so glad that Ella is finally here and that things went so well. I am REALLY glad that she came 2 weeks early...or things may have really been difficult! Give her hugs and kisses for me!

11:07 AM 

Blogger Amanda had this to say:

Holy Moly she was a big girl! Glad that she came 2 weeks early too! Congratulations- I have been waiting to see what happened :)

12:31 PM 

Blogger Ryan had this to say:

What a beautiful HEALTHY baby girl! Enjoy the moments with your little girls. K-Bugg is going to be a great big sister!

5:49 PM 

Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR had this to say:

She is a cute little chunky monkey!!! You can already see you in her face....

I hope you are feeling okay - if you need anything-call!

P.S. I was under the impression that your life complete after meeting me! I know Kevin probably reads this, so I will let that slide *wink* *wink*

9:34 PM 

Blogger cheri had this to say:

she's so cute. congrats!

1:18 PM 

Blogger Mandy had this to say:

What a beautiful picture of all three of you! YOu look GREAT! You should see my bloated self after labor/delivery... :)
I love the story of Ruby - and NO you are not alone - I remember feeling the same feelings of "MINE" for a while too. Keeping you in my thoughts,

7:42 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Hi, The pictures of the new addition to the family are great.. She is a beautiful baby.. I am so glad everything went well for you and her.. How did Dad hold up during labor? Big kisses for the whole family and especially for the new one.. Lots of Love .. Margaret and Jimmy

1:32 PM 

Blogger dena had this to say:

Congratulations! Gosh, she's just beautiful. And I adore her name. Two beautiful daughters...aren't you the lucky one?!?

3:55 PM 

Blogger carmie had this to say:

congratulations on a beautiful girl!

your daughter was born the same day as my son, but she beat him by 4 oz. i got induced on the 29th and had to have a c-section.

and i am totally with you on the exhausting, endless feedings. what's up with those?

7:42 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page







I am a mother, wife and full-time teacher, with a very sassy little girl (daughter 1) on my hands and another one following in her footsteps (daughter 2). And I wonder where the gray hairs are coming from?




www.flickr.com

















  • Powered by: Blogger
  • Design by: soapbox.SUPERSTAR
  • Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]