Thursday, March 02, 2006
Confrontation...I usually try to avoid it!

Here's the story...

Today was K-Bugg's gymnastics class. As I'm pulling into the parking lot of the gymnastics center, I notice a boy (approximately 12 years old) throwing rocks. He is throwing them from the parking lot, into an empty field across the street. His mom is sitting in her car, facing the opposite direction and reading a book. I think to myself, "He probably shouldn't be doing that with all of these cars around." I say nothing, and walk into the building. A few minutes later, I happen to glance out the window and see the boy standing next to my van, throwing rocks up into the air. Again, I think to myself, "He is going to hit my van with those rocks." Right about that time - DING! The rocks hit my van and he looks around to see if anyone has noticed. He realizes I am standing in the window and saw what had just happened. He takes off running. I walk out to check out the situation, and find two dents on the hood of my van and a "starburst" on my windshield.

So I find myself in a dilemma. I am NOT one to confront people. I would rather "suck it up" and go on. But, not today! (Thanks, pregnancy hormones!) I walk over to his mother's car and tell her what I just witnessed and the damage my van now has because of her son's actions. Without looking up, she says, "So, what do you want ME to do about it?"

"What do I want YOU to do about it? My van has two dents on the hood! It needs to be fixed! Do you have insurance?"

She reaches down to the floorboard of her car, pulls out an envelope and rips the top portion of an insurance bill off, and hands it to me. She then continues to read her book like I wasn't even standing there! The paper had a name and an address on it, and pretty much - nothing else.

"What am I supposed to do with THIS?" I ask. "I'm really not sure what to do in a situation like this. I think I better call my insurance company or the police to file a report."

Silence. She says nothing! I am dumbfounded by her lack of concern. "What do I want YOU to do about it?" How about getting onto your son about throwing rocks?! How about getting your lazy ass out of the car to at least "look" concerned about what happened?! How about taking some responsibility for your child and offering to fix the problem?! NOTHING!

To make a long story short, a police officer came out to make a report. It turns out he had to file a "Personal Property Damage" report, and she will be responsible for the cost to repair my van (not the insurance company). If she refuses to pay for the damage, I will have to take her to "small claims" court to get "restitution." Will I ever see a dime? I doubt it...But I feel better because for once - I didn't back down from confrontation!






3 Comments:
Blogger cheri had this to say:

good for you! sometimes you gotta speak up..especially when something like that happens...it's ok to let other stuff go, but that was good for you to confront her.

8:35 AM 

Blogger dena had this to say:

This is why I AM confrontational. When I saw him throwing rocks in the field I would have said in my loudest voice possible "THOSE ROCKS BETTER NOT HIT MY CAR"...I always get into it. I've chased many a kid away from my house, and I've done it at school when no one else would say something to a kid. I should keep my mouth shut, but I just can't.

I hope you get some money for it. Call your insurance company and I bet they'll go after her.

1:42 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Wow! I'm proud of you! Good for you confronting her. Now that will be the kind of mom who wonders why her son doesn't listen to his teachers, or take responsiblity for anything. Maybe because his mom is the same way. What a B**ch! She probably thought that she was calling your bluff, but ha! ha! You got her! Even if you don't get the $, at least your husband will still talk to you this weekend!

6:15 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page







I am a mother, wife and full-time teacher, with a very sassy little girl (daughter 1) on my hands and another one following in her footsteps (daughter 2). And I wonder where the gray hairs are coming from?




www.flickr.com

















  • Powered by: Blogger
  • Design by: soapbox.SUPERSTAR
  • Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]