Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Poor Sheba


Sheba is our family pet cat. I have had Sheba since she was just a kitten - way back before marriage and children. She is 13 years old and very loving. Sheba is not the typical cat...moody, unpredictable, or "stand-offish." She is actually the opposite - friendly, welcomes rubs and wants to be in your lap (friends or strangers).

Two nights ago, something happened to Sheba while she was outside. (She goes outside to use the bathroom. I do not have a litter box in my house.) When she came back to the door, I let her in as usual and carried on with whatever I was doing at the moment. Later, I noticed her face was bloody. I immediately brought her to the bathroom and cleaned her up to see what was wrong. Somehow, she literally "split" her tongue wide open. There is a half inch laceration on the side of her tongue. It looks disgusting!

K-Bugg and I took Sheba to the vet this afternoon. The vet said she already has an infection and put her on antibiotics. They gave her fluids and some kind of nutritional supplement because she hasn't been eating or drinking for two days. If she does not start eating by Friday, she will have to go back for surgery. They will have to cut the "flapping" part of her tongue off because it appears to be hanging in the line of her bite. The vet is afraid it will not heal because she keeps biting it when trying to eat. At the same time, she really does not recommend surgery because it would just create a fresh wound and Sheba would continue not wanting to eat or drink. Evidently, cats' bodies are not designed for fasting. If Sheba doesn't start eating, she will not make it. I cried when she told me that today. Keep your fingers crossed and say a prayer for poor Sheba. I hope she starts feeling better soon.






4 Comments:
Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR had this to say:

Oh no, not Sheba!!! Hope she is okay Renee!

1:41 PM 

Blogger Betty had this to say:

Your poor cat! I'll keep her in my prayers! Hang in there buddy!

2:27 PM 

Blogger Erin had this to say:

That's horrible, I am so sorry to hear that. I hope she is okay.

2:42 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Poor Shebe!!! We'll be thinking of you and the family - hope she gets better and starts eating soon. Poor girl. :(

10:41 AM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page







I am a mother, wife and full-time teacher, with a very sassy little girl (daughter 1) on my hands and another one following in her footsteps (daughter 2). And I wonder where the gray hairs are coming from?




www.flickr.com

















  • Powered by: Blogger
  • Design by: soapbox.SUPERSTAR
  • Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]