Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Surviving the Camping Experience and Living to Tell About it!

Actually, I should probably wait until tomorrow to officially make a statement like the title I chose for this post. In a stroke of luck, I have wireless internet here (and a free moment), so you get to hear my tales first hand. Overall, we are having a great time here in Cherokee. I wish I could say we have relaxed the entire time, but anyone with a toddler knows relaxing is not in the cards. We have spent 75% of our time chasing Ella around. She loves to explore and thinks nothing of walking away from our cabin to see the neighbors, pet random dogs, pick up leaves/trash, or just plain run away. Our only time to relax is when the kids are sleeping and the adults get to sit around the campfire alone.

Our cabin is nice, but of course has no AC. We came prepared with fans, so it has actually been pleasant - and down right cold at night. I think the low was 58 degrees this morning. Our cabin doesn't have a bathroom, so we have been using the "bath house." The bath house is nice, but I seem to have trouble every time I visit. Let's see...I've forgotten my towel on several occasions, found the nonworking shower after completely undressing, forgotten my shampoo, found the shower with NO hot water (Kevin), dropped my clean clothes on the wet shower floor, and that about sums it up! Kevin's friend has his own camper. It is brand new and has everything you could ask for - complete kitchen and bathroom (with tub/shower), dining area, living area, flat screen TV, DVD/CD player, gas grill, and sleeps 8! We may look into buying one down the road. (It would also save me from having to visit the bath house.) We have found that it is a lot cheaper to stay in a campground. It is family oriented with a pool, water slide, jumping pillow (trampoline), playground, outdoor movie and planned activities for the kids. The girls have had a blast!

Highlights of our trip:
* Stopping every 30 minutes on the way up to take bathroom breaks (K-Bugg was afraid to poop)
* Meeting "Santa" at one of our bathroom stops. K-Bugg saw him and asked if he was Santa. He said, "Yes, I'm on vacation and needed to check up on some children in this area."
* Swimming in the pool and going down the water slide.
* Racing across the playground equipment with a stopwatch to see who was the fastest (kids AND adults)
* Chilling out in front of the campfire at night - listening to music, drinking beer and making S'mores
* Grilling out every night - hamburgers, hotdogs, steaks, and BBQ chicken
* Taking a picnic lunch to a state park on the NC and TN state line (on top of a mountain)
* Seeing a wild black bear and her cubs on top of the mountain.






12 Comments:
Blogger Betty had this to say:

Wow! It seems like you had a better time than you expected! I'm glad you had fun :o) Hubby and I are talking about going on vacation....very.very.soon! Glad you're back :o)

11:42 AM 

Blogger Amanda Bee had this to say:

The Santa comment is adorable!

12:45 PM 

Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR had this to say:

Sounds like it has been good for the most part. The Santa thing is cute!

2:01 PM 

Blogger Shelly had this to say:

Sounds like you guys are having a blast.

3:34 PM 

Blogger Brooke had this to say:

I love the Santa thing, at least he was a good sport!

Sounds like you have a good time!

5:19 PM 

Blogger Jacqueline had this to say:

I am extremely impressed that the weather wasn't that bad for you. Mark went to the mountains yesterday and today and he was commenting on how NICE it was up there. Sounds like you had a blast. I definitely understand what it is like chasing a toddler around all the time. It really wears you out. Look at it like this, it's your daily workout. Can't wait to see pic's and have a safe trip home.

6:39 PM 

Blogger Mandy had this to say:

How FUN! I am so jealous. I want a vacation... in the moutains!

8:36 PM 

Blogger Friglet had this to say:

It sounds like a great trip!

1:12 AM 

Blogger Kelly in NC had this to say:

Doesn't seem like your title fits to me. It sounds to me lik eyou did more than just survive the mountians. I detect a good amount of fun in that post!
Well, anyway I am glad that you are back and am glad you had a good time.

6:34 PM 

Blogger NaeNae had this to say:

Kelly - Yes, we DID have a good time. Going into the trip, I was expecting it to be more like our family camping trips when we were kids. You, being my sister, would understand my apprehension about the camping experience!

7:50 PM 

Blogger NaeNae had this to say:

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:50 PM 

Blogger Erin had this to say:

Wow, I wish I was on that trip.

3:01 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page







I am a mother, wife and full-time teacher, with a very sassy little girl (daughter 1) on my hands and another one following in her footsteps (daughter 2). And I wonder where the gray hairs are coming from?




www.flickr.com

















  • Powered by: Blogger
  • Design by: soapbox.SUPERSTAR
  • Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]