Thursday, September 20, 2007
Stressed Out!



Have you ever had one of those days that you thought would never end? That was my day, today. Actually, I should probably say that has been my week! To start off the week, my allergies kicked into high gear. My sinuses ache and my throat feels like it has a sweater attached to it. Sounds weird, huh? Try having that feeling in your throat all day long! I am waiting for the moment that my allergies rob me of my voice like it always does this time of year. Having Laryngitis and being a teacher does not equal a good time. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't happen.

In addition, I'm feeling a lot of stress in my new position at school. I moved to a new grade level and feel like a "first year" teacher again. I'm out of my comfort zone. I do not like to be out of my comfort zone! I want to do a good job with these kids. I know they are counting on me. The anxiety I was feeling today, led to an unexpected "break down" during my planning period. Let me explain...

There is a teacher at my school who has taken me under her wing this year. She has really helped me out and has been a great person to go to for advice. She is always thinking of me and gathers all of this "STUFF" she thinks I will need or use. Now let me first say, that I appreciate her help and feel very grateful that she is always thinking of me. But today, she probably thought I had lost my mind. She had all of these cool ideas and teaching tools ready for me to take back to my room. Again, I felt appreciative, but unsure where to begin in using them. I just looked at her and felt this urge to burst into tears. I hate the feeling of not knowing where I am going in reference to my job. I have always felt confident as a teacher and very seldom question my abilities. This new experience is forcing me to take a look at myself from a new perspective. I knew this would be a challenge going in...I just wasn't prepared for all of the extra time and effort it would take on my part.

Speaking of time, that is another piece of the puzzle that has me feeling so overwhelmed. With all of the extra time I am spending at work (including weekends and weeknights), my time with my family is limited. I don't have enough time in the day to do all of the things I want to do. I'm done whining now...






8 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Sorry you are feeling so overwhelmed. Take some deep breaths and let it all fall into place. It will. It always does, doesn't it? After all, it's not even October yet.

6:51 AM 

Blogger Mandy had this to say:

Naenae, hang in there. It is a terrible feeling when you feel like you are not giving 100% to anything. Here's the thing though: at school, hold your head high. Even though you don't FEEL like you are excelling at this new position, you really are. You are an expert, and if you say it enough, you will believe it too. You will look back next year and be like, "holy crap last year was hard." But it will be easier next year. Try to put it aside as much as you can on weekends; sending a hug to you,

1:22 PM 

Blogger Betty had this to say:

I hear ya about being overwhelmed! Just hang in there girl! Have a wonderful weekend with your family :o)

5:25 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Hang in there, Nae. You are still a hero to each of those kids you are teaching. They are learning valuable lessons from you... how to meet new challenges, how to be strong, how to work hard to be the best at something new, how to handle stress, etc. Sometimes, it is those lessons that make the biggest impact on their little lives. You are a great teacher, mom and wife! Believe in yourself!

11:38 AM 

Blogger Kelly in NC had this to say:

Remember how challenging your first year of teaching was? And you made it through that year and the kids did well! This year will be the same. Don't overwhelm yourself eith too many new gadgets. I mean kids learned how to multiply and divide well before the inventions of technology. Only start adding those new "tools" when you feel ready to spice up your lessons. And I agree- set limits for yourself when it comes to how many hours you spend at school. Also, maybe you can recruit a parent volunteer to help with some of the miscellaneous details. DO you have any worth recruiting?

11:53 AM 

Blogger Jacqueline had this to say:

I agree with Kelly, stick to the basics. Then you can add all the extra stuff later. You will do fine. I kind of felt this way when I had Jack. I felt like it was my first child again since it had been 5 years. You forget how hard it is in the beginning. You will be fine this year. Also, I have had to put a limit on my time work time lately so I can have some down time with the family. I think I actually get more accomplished when I am more relaxed. Just think - Girl's Weekend is right around the corner!

3:12 PM 

Blogger Brooke had this to say:

Ugh, the allergies are awful, it's such a constant headache.

8:40 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Yep, look at the bright side... GIRLS WEEKEND is less than 2 weeks away! Also, try to remember that no matter what, you still know more than the students do, and they don't know you're overwhelmed... so keep up your confidence level, relax a bit, and it'll all fall into place.

1:32 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page







I am a mother, wife and full-time teacher, with a very sassy little girl (daughter 1) on my hands and another one following in her footsteps (daughter 2). And I wonder where the gray hairs are coming from?




www.flickr.com

















  • Powered by: Blogger
  • Design by: soapbox.SUPERSTAR
  • Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]