Tuesday, April 17, 2007
My "Drama Queen Meter" Must Be Off!

When I picked Kellynn up from school yesterday, her teacher stopped me to tell me about an incident that happened at school. She explained that while Kellynn was playing on the playground, a wood chip flew into her eye from the wind. (The wind was horrendous yesterday!) She said they were able to get the wood chip out of her eye, but Kellynn kept rubbing it. When she woke up from her nap, her eye was red.

I thanked the teacher for her concern, then led Kellynn out to the van to go home. When I helped her get into her carseat, I tried to look at her eye, but she wouldn't let me touch it. The eye itself, was not red - just the skin around it. I really didn't think anything of the incident, as Kellynn tends to be dramatic about everything! I decided I would be a good mother and call the doctor to see what they thought I should do. They referred me to a Pediatric Opthalmologist 40 mintues away.

So, I start weighing out the pros and cons to this trip. I'm studying Kellynn's every move from my rearview mirror as we are driving down the road. Is she rubbing her eye? No. Is she constantly blinking her eye? No. Is she crying or whining? No. I almost pull into our neighborhood and blow the whole thing off, but the guilt sets in before I get a chance to make that move. What if she starts crying when we get home? Then it will be too late to take her to see the doctor. What if she is up all night crying? Then I will feel terrible. What if her cornea is scratched and I did nothing? Terrible mother!

I decided to take her to the Opthalmologist just to be safe. I called Kevin on the way to let him know what was going on (and to get his take on things). He agreed we should take her as well. He was able to meet us at the doctor's office since it was on his way home. Thank goodness he met us there, because he ended up having to hold Kellynn down for the doctor to check her eyes. She wanted NO PART in having her eye examined. And when the doctor wanted to dye her eye to check for scratches - and then flip her eyelid? You would have thought the world was coming to an end, the way Kellynn was kicking and screaming! In the end, I'm glad we took her. She had the outer "shell" from a beetle's exoskeleton caught in her upper eyelid!






8 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Ohmigod... the way she loves bugs - she must have been THRILLED to have part of one caught in her eye!!!! Very exciting for her, I'm sure. :)

7:09 AM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

EWW, beatle shell sounds really gross. Good thing that you did take her. It is so hard to tell sometimes when you have a dramma queen daughter. Trust me, I have one too.

7:35 AM 

Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR had this to say:

HAHAHAHA!!! The outer "shell" from a beetle's exoskeleton, was the ophthalmologist also an entomologist?

12:14 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

wow, it is a good thing you took her! I'm thinking I might have a drama queen on my hands also!

5:27 PM 

Blogger Kelly in NC had this to say:

Those darn exoskeletons. They'll get you everytime!

7:13 PM 

Blogger Mandy had this to say:

My eye is seriously watering right now. OUCH!

7:19 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

We are coming to NC next week after I am done working here... We're visiting friends in Raeford. YEAH!

9:59 AM 

Blogger Amanda had this to say:

Yep you and I have the same child. Now why can't you live closer??

11:11 AM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page







I am a mother, wife and full-time teacher, with a very sassy little girl (daughter 1) on my hands and another one following in her footsteps (daughter 2). And I wonder where the gray hairs are coming from?




www.flickr.com

















  • Powered by: Blogger
  • Design by: soapbox.SUPERSTAR
  • Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]