Monday, January 09, 2006
Borderline

In my last post, I talked about failing my first sugar tolerance test for Gestational Diabetes. Last Thursday, I went in for the 3 hour test I mentioned. What a nightmare! Besides the fact that I had to sit in the doctor's office for over 3 hours, I was "stuck" numerous times because the nurse had a hard time finding veins to draw blood. According to her, I have "small" veins - and after drawing blood once from a single vein, the vein would not cooperate again. She would then have to find a new vein to draw blood from. I ended up with bruises on both arms and both hands. I did however learn that my hands were easier to draw blood from (opposed to my arms).

The last hour I spent at the doctor's office was a complete waste. You see, they draw blood once every hour for testing. By the third hour, the nurse could no longer get blood from me. She said it was due to being dehydrated. Have you ever heard of not being able to bleed from dehydration? I'm a little confused by this...but I was tired of being a pin cushion, so I was thankful when she said she could use what she had from the first two hours.

Today I learned the results from my testing. I am considered "borderline" for having Gestational Diabetes. I barely passed the screening. The nurse suggested I take it easy on sugars and carbohydrates just to be safe. She also told me the doctor would look over my numbers and talk with me more about it at my next appointment. So...here I am wondering what is okay or not okay to eat. I love eating fresh fruits. Is this considered a safe sugar intake? I know I have to cut back on soft drinks. I am addicted to soft drinks. I have been pretty good about staying away from caffeine by drinking Sprite and Mt. Dew with no caffeine throughout my pregnancy. But now with having to also stay away from sugar, I am depressed! I have never been able to drink "diet" sodas, so I guess I need to start drinking more water.

So I get this info early this morning. Guess what I've eaten today? Grits, eggs and toast (by the way, are grits considered a carb?), macaroni and cheese (pasta is a no-no), an apple flavored popsicle, a brownie, pizza and breadsticks. I'm doing great already (that's a joke)! I plan to turn over a new leaf tomorrow. Any suggestions? I've never followed a low carb/low sugar diet before. I don't know what to avoid or where to begin. HELP!

On a different note...

I got this sudden urge to look at the new babies at our hospital today. K-Bugg and I visited the nursery at the hospital, but they were all with their mommies. I can't wait for Ella Ruby to be here with us!






3 Comments:
Blogger soapbox.SUPERSTAR had this to say:

I would look on the web for "diabetes diets" - I was borderline throughout Ashton's entire pregnancy and at the end had it. I sucked at the food part.

8:14 AM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

well, when my doc THOUGHT I was way over the sugar limit (without any screening- just bloodwork), they immediately referred me to the Daibetes Center in town for counciling. So if it requires counciling, then the diet must be serious. And if your doc didn't referr you anywhere, I would just relax a bit. Needless to say - I never had to go because my sugar went down on it's on in a 1/2 hour. But when I was wondering what the hell "diabetes diet" meant - I did some research and found that you have to read the labels of EVERYTHING before you realize that EVERYTHING has sugar in it, unfortunately (even milk!). Peanut butter is a good one though...that on a whole wheat english muffin is only 3g of sugar. :) No fruites - especially juices.

8:47 AM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Hey Renee', Just a quick lil' note on the whole dehydration subject, when I has hospitalized a couple of years ago because of dehydration they naturally had to to hook me to an i.v. so that the could get me hooked up to some glucose water. However, because I was so dehydrated my veins had collapsed and I as well as to be stuck several times before the could finally get it one in me. So, no it's not weird to hear of not being able to stick a vein due to dehydration. Okay, that's all.

12:05 PM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page







I am a mother, wife and full-time teacher, with a very sassy little girl (daughter 1) on my hands and another one following in her footsteps (daughter 2). And I wonder where the gray hairs are coming from?




www.flickr.com

















  • Powered by: Blogger
  • Design by: soapbox.SUPERSTAR
  • Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]