Wednesday, July 12, 2006
Am I a Sucker?

Yesterday afternoon, I was enjoying a refreshing popsicle on the back porch with my girls. Kevin had just returned home from work and entered the house through the basement door. He later joined us (as he usually does), but this time brought a guest with him. I was surprised to see a cute, "tanned" college boy following my husband onto the porch. Did I mention the boy was a salesman? My husband hates door-to-door salesmen, as do I. (Sorry to those of you who may find yourself in this profession - but I usually give a quick, "No thanks," and close the door.) Anyway, he proceeds to tell us about the product he is selling (children's books from the Southwestern Company). Now let me first say that my children do NOT need any books! I am a school teacher and of course, offer lots and lots of books for their reading pleasure. But I couldn't tell this boy no! He explained he was using this job to get experience in being a salesman because he wanted to be a pharmaceutical salesman for Pfizer. They promised him a job interview if he followed through with this job of selling books over the summer. I bought his story, hook-line-and-sinker and purchased $75.00 worth of children's books that I did not need. Am I a sucker, or what? By the way - my husband was also okay with this purchase.

PS - My 6th wedding anniversary is coming up...any suggestions for a "day" trip to celebrate?






7 Comments:
Blogger Amanda had this to say:

I helped out a friends daughter yesterday and bought a $100 chef knife after her presentation yesterday. So I am the wrong person to ask :)

10:53 AM 

Blogger NaeNae had this to say:

You're making me feel better, Amanda!

11:09 AM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

Yep, sound like you're sucker...but hey for $75 you got a bunch of books....and to stare at a hot young man too! SOunds like a bargain to me! Ha Ha!

4:16 PM 

Blogger Mandy had this to say:

No way - you're not a sucker. I mean, if you purchased $75 worth of stuff that's not useful, or that you'd never used. But if you go to that website - it's a reputable company, and at least it does benefit him. I would have done the exact same. You'll have to get ready though, b/c I bet either he or another rep from Southwestern will be back in ~ 6 months or so!

8:55 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

yeah how bout you come up to VAGINA beach and pay us a visit, we can all go eat at bennigans for old times sake :)

8:15 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

I'm a sales mgr. with Southwestern. Thanks for buying books for your children. I sold for seven summers during and after my time at UNC-Chapel Hill. We actually do have a contract with Pfizer (they pay to hire the students who work with us and perform well) so that wasn't a line. Sounds like you're a good teacher. I found in all my time selling that there were two types of teachers; one had "access" to everything and never bought. The other loved books. They believed that even if they didn't need the books, they could never have too many. Almost without exception, these teachers were the most loved by their students. It will help the young salesman out a lot to have a teacher's name on his list beause it lends credibility to the quality of his products if a teacher actually bought them. We don't keep a list of names of people who bought so we can send people back there. If someone comes back by, it won't be until next summer, and it will be random chance that he/she worked hard enough to find you. Thanks for being a teacher; you didn't get suckered.

6:44 PM 

Anonymous Anonymous had this to say:

She is beautiful. My youngest is 8 months. Do you want to prearrange their marriage? He is a very handsome little man. His name is Mason. Where in NC do you live so I can send a day trip suggestion.

11:41 AM 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page







I am a mother, wife and full-time teacher, with a very sassy little girl (daughter 1) on my hands and another one following in her footsteps (daughter 2). And I wonder where the gray hairs are coming from?




www.flickr.com

















  • Powered by: Blogger
  • Design by: soapbox.SUPERSTAR
  • Subscribe to
    Posts [Atom]